Five Ways to Improve Immune Health for the School Year!
Now is the time to boost the immune system to avoid getting sick! Here are some helpful tips to keep you and your family well during this time of the year!
- Foods to limit during this time of year and avoid with the first symptom of a cold include dairy, sugar, citrus fruits and processed foods. These all increase inflammation in the mucous membranes (the lining of our mouth, throat and sinuses). These foods also increase mucous production. When inflammation and mucous production increases in these areas, it sets the stage for infection.
- Take a good quality probiotic (like what makes up live cultures in yogurt) every day. Around 70% of our immune system is in our gut, so gastrointestinal health is important to reduce the frequency of illnesses. Probiotics are a great way to improve immune function. I recommend taking a chewable, capsule or powdered form that is free of dairy, instead of relying on yogurt. See the monthly special for a discount on probiotics.
- Get 8 hours of sleep. Studies suggest that if we get adequate sleep, our immune system functions better. I suggest falling asleep by 9:00-10:00 pm. If you can wake on time without an alarm, this typically means your body is getting enough sleep.
- A simple walk or exercise regimen a few times a week can help keep you well. There are several theories on how exercise improves immune function, among all of the other benefits it has to offer. If the cold weather stops you from moving around, consider a monthly gym membership to keep you on your feet.
- Manage stress as best you can. Stress impacts our bodies on all levels. Take the time to learn what things work for you to reduce your stress load. Consider walking outside, meditation, yoga, and getting a massage. Set healthy boundaries and say no to others requesting your help if you are feeling overwhelmed.
If you or anyone in your family suffers from frequent illnesses of any kind, please feel free to contact me for a complimentary initial consultation. I would be happy to work with you and provide individualized recommendations to help you achieve optimal health and feel your best.
Probiotics are 15% off this month. Place an order today!